Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Interview with Meg part II

1) How is the hiking in Korea?
I absolutely love hiking in Korea. Keep in mind that I have only gone twice, but each time was equally rewarding. Even though there are so many people hiking the same mountain, you have plenty of opportunities to escape and venture off on your own little path. I actually enjoy seeing all of the people. It is such a scenic and cultural experience.

2) What do you think of the Korean hiking outfits?
Wow! They really take their hiking to a whole different level. I was so overwhelmed and felt a little out of place in my jeans and tennis shoes. You have plenty of opportunities to purchase your hiking gear on the way up to the entrance of the mountain. Koreans get fully decked out in hiking boots, hiking pants, shirts, vests (the vest is an essential accessory if you want to be cool), backpacks, hiking canes (two if you are really a pro), gloves, water bottles, blankets, and of course, the makoli (Korean rice wine).

My first impression was that they are being a little bit ridiculous with all of their gear. Deep down inside, I was definitely feeling a bit jealous. I really wanted one of those canes or walking sticks. As I stated earlier, some hikers were sporting two canes. OK, now that is just being selfish!

Next time I hike, I will have to take a picture of some of the hiking gear kiosks. I think the true hikers are addicted to this gear. The hikers who are already decked out are swarming the stands while the kiosk owners start shouting out their limited time offers. It truly is something you have to see with your own eyes.
If you are wondering, yes, I did show up a little more prepared on my second hiking adventure. I went out and purchased an official hiking shirt. I also got some pretty nice track pants as well. Needless to say, I still felt pretty left out that I didn’t have a vest or a hiking cane. I don’t think I will ever purchase anything else hiking related, but I thoroughly enjoy and respect the people who do. Besides, I am way cooler than anybody in my hot pink hiking shirt.

3) How about Makoli?

As I briefly explained, makoli is a traditional Korean rice wine. It is tradition to take a bottle (maybe more than one, I have no idea) up the mountain with you when you hike. I was pretty baffled by the idea of hiking and wine. Honestly, how could I have been so surprised that they cannot even go hiking without a little booze in them??

Personally, I was not too impressed with the taste of makoli. I do not even think I can accurately describe it. I have never tasted anything like it before. It has a bit of a bitter taste, but is definitely easy to get down. I would not be able to drink much of it simply because I just do not care for it. Regardless, I could not have been happier being on top of that boulder, enjoying nature, and sharing a few drinks with Chris.

4) I found it funny that there are so many paved hiking trails, what did you think about the concrete paths?

I think the paths are great. I cannot say I gave them much use because I was enjoying the “off trail” hiking. I noticed that a great majority of hikers are a bit older. For them, the paved paths are essential. It is a great way for those who can no longer frolic around creeks and boulders to still enjoy what the mountain has to offer. I also used the paved paths as a guide to get back to the bottom of the mountain, so I feel they were pretty useful.

5) What is your favorite part?

I think you asked me this question because you know I have a weakness. I can never pick just one favorite thing about an experience!!

The entire day is quite eventful. Your journey begins the moment you leave the subway station. People are selling a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables immediately outside of the station. You are surrounded by hikers and literally have no other option but to go with the flow. Everyone begins their journey up to the mountain entrance, which is a good 25 minute walk from the subway. On the way up, you pass by hundreds of tiny kiosks, all really selling the same exact thing. If you forgot your hiking gear, you will easily find all you need from these street vendors and shops. If you like fish, you are in luck. Every other stand is cooking fresh fish over an open flame. Plenty of tasty treats are available for those who do not care for fish, but fish is definitely the most common.

Once you finally make your way through the hustle and bustle, the journey up the mountain begins. Hikers can pick from two different routes to take. From these two routes, you can find yourself endless paths and trails to take. I love the different scenes you stumble across on your way. For starters, you can expect to randomly stumble upon a rest area/fitness area. Here, you will find people resting to grab a bite to eat, drink some makoli, lift weights, or hula hoop. Yes, I said hula hoop. I also enjoy passing by people picnicking and drinking makoli. Everyone seems so at peace and completely at ease.

The sound of loud steps and chatty voices is a great way to know it is time to head back. Also, a Korean saying “Down” to you is a pretty good sign as well…People begin their descent back down the mountain around 5:30 or so. I am not sure if it is a rule to leave at a certain time, but everyone seems to head back together. I am always sad to head back, but I know my day is not yet complete.

On the way back through the hustle and bustle, you will find all of the hikers enjoying a victory meal along with their soju. Chris and I skip the soju, but we do enjoy our own victory meal. We each get a sausage and a beer. The last time we went hiking, we really did not want a beer. Honestly, all we said was “sausage doogay joosayo”, which literally means “sausage two please bring me.” No one mentioned anything about beer, yet the lady gave Chris and I each a tall, frosty mug filled to the brim with beer. Needless to say, we couldn’t turn it down. Beer or no beer, I love our victory meal. It is great to see everyone laughing, eating, drinking, and feeling accomplished. To sum it up, I love love love hiking in Korea!

*Editor's Note- Here are some ideas for unofficial Korean slogans-
1) "Korea, where every meal comes with alochol, even if you don't want it."
2) "We drink more than the Irish"
I could go on.... but I'll spare you some lame jokes.
Thank You Meg

No comments: