Monday, November 3, 2008

The Pros and Cons of Teaching in Korea

Here is a pro and cons list of coming to Korea:

Pros
  1. This is a continuation of college, by that I mean little responsibility.
  2. The compensation is more than sufficient. The cost of living in Seoul is very affordable. The only expensive thing in Seoul is the real estate, which happens to be taken care of by the teaching academies/public schools. It is very easy to get by, here's an example of a typical night out: 1 dollar subway ride to your destination, 8 dollar nice dinner, (drinks are $2.50-3.50) and then a taxi ride home split between people usually costs around 4 dollars.* So depending on how much you drink, it's very reasonable.
  3. No expenses- You have to fork up about 100 dollars every month in utilities, that's it. Think about the savings, no car payment, no car insurance, no gasoline, and no rent. Health insurance is very cheap, and I have a ten dollar a month cell phone plan.
  4. Save Money- see above. Many people I have run across have saved money for master programs or more schooling when they go back home. If you're thinking about extending your education, this would be a great place to get a head start.
  5. Pay College Loans- Get a good start paying back those ugly monsters.
  6. Seoul- Seoul is the second biggest city in the world. It's huge. There is stuff going on all the time.
  7. Learn a new culture and language- talk about expanding your horizons, Asia is the on the opposite side of the culture spectrum than western culture.
  8. Travel- See the rest of this side of the world. If I don't get to visit two other countries on this experience, I will be extremely disappointed in myself. First up, Thailand and Laos!
  9. The Resume- Employers want to see global experience and while this might not be the ideal experience, it is an experience none the less.
  10. Good Job- There is minimal stress related when working this job. It's easy and it can be fun.

*While it is hard to spend a lot of money in Korea, it can be done. The majority of streets in Seoul have claw machines. These are really bright and big claw machines. The prizes aren't just stuffed animals, these aren't kids claw machines. The prizes are fancy butane lighters and cell phones and then they have random prizes like underwear. Crazy I know. Last night, I was walking down the street with about seven guys. We ran into a street carnival, equipped with air guns, punching bags, (You basically wind-up and hit the bag as hard as possible, and it rates your punch, on a scale of 1000) and other carny games.

The punching bag was a money drainer to say the least. With that much testosterone in a ten foot radius, money was flying in that machine to see who could hit the bag the hardest. After about 6 dollars (split between us) we learned that there is some strategy to it. A straight stiff, straight right was our model. After about 8 dollars and a nearly broken wrist, I had the high score at 8942. But the high score ever was 9357, (I'm speaking for myself here, but I think we wanted that high score or at least 9000.) so after 15 dollars and sore wrists the group moved on to head butting the bag for bragging rights. This is of course after playing darts for about three hours. I have never been around such competitive people in my life! After twenty dollars, sore wrists, and headaches the group disbanded to go home. Here was the summary of my spending on that night: 1 buck for the subway, 1 dollar for the street corn dog, 1.50 for the chicken on a stick, 4 dollars for darts, 10 dollars for beer, 3 dollars for the bag, 5 dollars for the taxi to McDonald's, and $6.75 at Mikey D's. 4 hot cakes, a Sausage Egg McMuffin, and hash browns always end the night with an explanation mark!* 30 dollars for all that fun, and the majority of the expenses were not necessary by any means! I have a sprained wrist to prove it.

Wait, the asterisk was going to be about how taxi's are so cheap. You could go to Columbia from Kansas City for 40 dollars in a taxi, based on Seoul taxi rates. No probably not, but you can go from one end of Seoul to the other for 20 bucks. Not bad at all, especially with five people in the cab. Then, remember that the cabs are basically roller coasters, that's worth the price of admission alone.

**McDonald's has the best breakfast fast food. I just want to quash the debate that Hardee's is better right now! Actually, my wrist hurts maybe another time.

Cons

  1. Teaching kids can be frustrating. It tests your patience. Sometimes you have to sing and dance to get any reactions at all, and other times you have to slam fists on desks to get them to stop talking.
  2. Seoul- This is a big city. It has some dirty aspects about it. The sidewalk etiquette is absurd, just awful.
  3. Korean's have poor manners. They are in a hurry and will bump into to you. This is a future post.
  4. THE WON- The won has lost 20% of it's value to the dollar this year and is extremely volatile. Things are looking better, because the won was down like 32%. This will undercut your savings if this performance doesn't hange.
  5. Homesick- This isn't the States/whatever your home is. I have not watched one Chiefs or Royals game and just one MU game in 3 and 1/2 months. The food, while extremely delicious, can be boring after awhile. It would be similar to eating Mexican food everyday for 3 months. That sounds like it would be very good, but trust me, it'll get old after a while. There are a few ethnic restaurants. The driving can be scary. It just takes a little bit of adjustment.
  6. North Korea could blow up Seoul. Not likely at all, that's what I tell myself at least, and we have a spot in the subway with a shank and canned food and bottled water, and...

Alright here is my summation: My generation is not going to be able to retire... ever, or at the best case scenario 85, so why not take advantage of youth and do something bold. Korean's have generally liked me, and they generally like Americans. America is the reason South Korea is what it is today, it's easy to rail on America's wars in the Middle East, but it worked here in Korea. The average South Korean is three inches taller than the average North Korean. They have a good life because of American intervention, and there's a token amount of respect for that reason. Sometimes I'm completely shocked at how I get treated, I have received tons of free stuff, I stayed with a family in a Buddhist temple, and random people want to get their picture taken with me. I'm just an ordinary Joe, too.

I have the rest of my life to figure out what I want to do, and I know that a cubicle is not in my calling right now. Just like the stock market, my emotions on Korea can be a roller coaster, but there is no doubt in my mind that this has been a good idea.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Loved this post, Chris! I understand completely about having fun and adventure while you're still young. Congrats to Meg on her new responsibilities! Can she recruit me?!?

David Spector said...

No Royals games? What about MLB TV?

Unknown said...

I figured I'd better stick my e-mail here since so many people seem to be reading this section of your blog. E-mail me at meghanpfaff@yahoo.com if you are interested in teaching English here. Thanks, Chris!

Anonymous said...

generic ativan ativan side effects nightmares - ativan side effects for children