Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Food

After being booed off the stage with that first poll, I will think of more challenging questions. I just wanted to get a feel for the application. A yes/no question also caters to everyone. No one has yet to comment/guess about the weird food items I've scarfed down either, so I give up. I can't force anyone to comment, I am not the government, haha. Maybe the first political comment mentioned, but not the last! S. Korea will beat Canada, so I get to rub that in all my Canadian friends' face.

Alright, Meg and I went to a Tuna house with our boss Sung-Me. It was 20 dollars for all you can eat Tuna. This is not like the 79 cent Chicken of the Sea canned tuna that turns your body into a mercury field either. This is prime sushi tuna.*

*Koreans don't like to waste any part of their food. I have now had bone foot chicken twice. Which is essentially chicken feet in a spicy chili paste, once on accident and once on purpose. The head of a fish is the center piece in a soup. They eat caterpillars in their cocoon stage. Not only that, these bugs are sold on the street, meaning they're really popular. Believe me, they're not that good. They use chicken guts in dishes, and chicken butthole. I don't' want it, but I probably already... (I can't even finish the sentence!) The diversity is amazing too. I've had pig stomach and quail eggs in one night in one meal.

So we're eating the different cuts of raw tuna. All the cuts basically taste the same to an untrained pallet. The best food item of the night was smoked tuna ribs. It tasted more like the salmon back home. Then Sung-Me asked the sushi chef if he had anything special for us. We had tuna caviar wrapped in lettuce. Then he brought us out tuna tongues. I felt like a Native American carving out a buffalo tongue with my spear eating a raw tuna tongue. A real I'm a caveman moment, not to say Native Americans are caveman, but eating a raw tongue to me just seems a bit barbaric or at least very carnivervous (sp?). Why eat a raw tuna tongue you ask, well "When in Korea..." The only noticeable difference was that it was a little bit more watery, and I have better bragging rights.

The next dish that was brought to us was Liquid Eyeball. I am assuming it was a crushed tuna eyeball mixed with soju. (because it is cheaper than water, actually I don't know why it is mixed with soju) We had a big shot of this cloudy beverage and downed it like pros. For those of you keeping track, that is raw tuna tongue and tuna eyes. Not bad for just being over here a month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well gosh golly, I'm just right proud of you two. I remember hearing about your food fears before you left. Knowing that both of you aren't really picky eaters, I was a bit surprised to hear you say the food was one of your biggest worries. I did a little research online and in some books I had from culinary school. Indeed, there seemed to be alot to be afraid of. But being the good friend I was, I told you sugar-coated bits of truths and tried to convey an optimistic outlook on their food. To be real honest, I figured you would hate most of it, but I figured no use having you mope around and worry about it. Well, lo and behold, we were both wrong. Sounds like you LOVE their food, or at least love expanding your palates by trying new things. Now I only wished that I could have tormented the both of you, for months on end, about how disgusting their food was, probably trying to document some of their most grotesque foods in daily emails and phone calls and text messages, maybe snail mail too if I was feeling extra hateful that day. While I am happy for you, I'm also sad about the lost opportunities I had at making up sick, sadistic things about korean cuisine. Moral of the story: Torment friends every chance you get.