Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Randomness of Korea

How does hot dog fried rice sound for lunch, found in your local convenience store? Disgusting at first, but intriguing none the less. Lets just hope the hot dog is not a Hot Dog, if you know what I mean. How about shrimp flavored potato chips? I have already jumped off the cliff and had a shrimp burger, which was awful. More like a lump of sloppy breading and fake shrimp. These items will shock you into buying them, today Meg got a cranberry and chicken salad sandwich.
"Cranberries on a sandwich, I reckon I'll take the big one." In my head, I was picturing Sling Blade and it was funny. Hopefully someone gets it.


Let's just get random for a little bit. Caution, this post is going to jump around a little bit. By now you should be used to my free associative writing style anyway. I've never had writer's block because of this style, so please bare with the confusing webs I might spin.

Random Things

(1) Koreans are scared of the sun, you should know this by now. Check out this visor:



This is a common visor worn by Korean women. Their Marketing Campaign should read: "Blue Collar meets practicality in this stunning new fashion statement from the streets of Korea. Don't leave home without your Welding Visor (C)! Coming to a store near you, fall of 2008 ("Welding Visor (c) will not be held responsible for any sun related injuries.)


(2) How about a game where children stick their fingers up some one's butt, and follow the ass their fingers are up. Takes "goosing"to a whole new level. This game is literally translated shit needle. It resembles follow the leader, with one stellar twist. I have only heard of it; I have yet to see it. During the second week of class, a teacher said, "Don't be too offended if a kid gooses you. It happens." Lets hope not.

(3) How about the lost art of chivalry. Well, since over 60 percent of Korean men have admitted to affairs in their relationships, they better make it up some how. Here is one way: men carrying a woman's purse. Not an uncommon sight at all. Meg, don't get any ideas. I never signed up to be a porter, unless you tip me. I'm free for negotiations anytime during work.








(4) Here's a weird idea. Koreans think that you have to beat the heat with heat.

Koreans eat hot soup in the middle of the afternoon on a muggy 90 degree day. Hot Tea for me, no I like innovation and ice was invented for a reason. Does the same concept apply to cold weather? If so, you can see me with Baskin Robbins in the up-coming frigid months.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought cranberry chicken salad was a prety normal dish compared to everything else I have eaten. Actually, I think I have had that in the states. Now hot dog fried rice - that's odd. I haven't come across that dish yet. I have seen squid served at the movies like popcorn and kids eating those caterpiller cocoon things like candy. I would say that is pretty unique.

Derek Black said...

Do Koreans really have hot soup because it is hot? or do they have hot soup during cold weather too

Unknown said...

The hot soup that they eat is actually a chicken stew called Samgaetang. It's a full chicken stuffed with garlic, rice, ginseng and other spices and then boiled. They eat it during the hottest days of the summer because it gives them energy since the heat can be rather exhausting. Personally, I thought it was bland and definitely one of my least favorite dishes I have had here.