Thursday, August 7, 2008

Pusan

Here is picture of Meg and the big bosses from the Crazy Work Party #2. Just look at the drunk finance officer.
On to the next story...





Meg and I got a nice little surprise just two weeks into our Korean adventure. We were thrilled to learn of an upcoming holiday break. We received two days off sandwiched around the weekend. We embarked on what every American living in Korea would do; a road trip. The list of characters embarking on the destination include Zach, John, Ryan, Dave, Scott, Steve, and Dan. 3 people were from Kansas, 2 from Missouri, 2 from Vancouver, 1 from Michigan, and 1 from Ohio. Can't you just smell the rivalries? All we needed were some Duke and North Carolina fans, throw in a couple French Canadians for good measure, for a script fit for Hollywood. Meg was the only female, bless her heart. At times, there was a lot of male bravado thrown about. Besides that, it was an amazing trip.


In Korea, there is only one summer destination to get a tan and lay on the beach for a nice relaxing weekend. That place is Pusan or Busan.* We took a bus at 1:30 in the morning on Friday and arrived at 6:00 a.m. Friday morning. I can honestly say that we were the first ones on the beach, because people leaving the beach from the night before do not count. One couple, in their Sunday's finest, was soaking wet leaving the beach. It's such a shock to see a woman wearing a dress and heels just get done swimming!




We too must of been a sight to see; weary, hungry, and sweaty. Zach visited this Korean paradise before and quickly found us a place to eat. It was a hotel that has an all you can eat western breakfast buffet. It was glorious. Bacon, Sausage, a rice egg vegetable dish, chicken wings, (I know its not your typical breakfast buffet item, but delicious none the less) multiple types of eggs, Texas toast, pineapple and orange juice. I thought it was an oasis at this point. I was so hungry that as I was eating my stomach was growling.




*Koreans can not say their P's and B's. P and B is not a letter in their alphabet. They say something in between a P and a B. Koreans, for instance, call Zach Jack, because they can't say Z''s either. Some signs would have Busan and some would say Pusan. You would think that they would just get uniform and pick one!



I was by far the darkest man of our group, and I still insisted putting on sun screen. I have been burnt too many times before. I'd rather run from a 2000 lb rhino in the sweltering heat for 12 miles, then have to go through three days of intense sun burns. The men of our group refused to put sunscreen on. In Korea, you don't see the sun as often as you do back home. It usually seems to be overcast, there are skyscrapers everywhere to obstruct the sun's rays, and we're in the middle of the rainy season. I think these guys were just happy to get out there. They ended up frying like a turkey during a Nebraska Missouri game.* That also proves my point of the testosterone levels on this journey. These men had no logic. They were one extreme, on the other side of the spectrum there were the Koreans. The Koreans looked like they were hiking Everest, completely decked out in winter gear covering themselves from head to toe. Beach workers had gloves on, wide brimmed hats, scarfs, and long sleeve shirts and pants; it's safe to assume they take sun protection seriously! Meg and maybe like three other brave Koreans were clad in bikinis. Last year, around this time, we were in Spain at a topless beach, but it's not a big deal there because every beach is topless. Here, you would be lucky to see any skin period. Just look at that guy below! How do they swim, you ask. Well they just jump right on in, fully clothed. I am not kidding.



*During the Nebraska Missouri game last year, I was a part of one of the greatest tailgates ever. My roommate Scott deep fried two turkeys. I can't think of any words to use to describe the sensation of eating a perfectly fried golden brown turkey. I can only give you the recommendation that every Thanksgiving for the rest of your life you need to fry your turkey. It was that good!



Our hotel had a stunning view of the beach and the sea. The water was calm. The sand was a bit rocky, but I'm not complaining. It was a wonderful atmosphere. To get outside of a huge city and be a part of nature makes you appreciate the natural wonders even more. This peaceful oasis was still Korea, and that means a lot of people. And I mean a lot. I mean that you can't throw a football it's so crowded. I mean that there are more people on the beach, then there are in Columbia Missouri. SO it Can't be that Natural! The picture below was taken at a beach that's called, "the Miami Beach of Korea" and I would call it "Utterly insane." That picture gives you an idea of how crowded it was that day, but you still have to stare into it to realize the depth of umbrellas. Each umbrella is home to at least two people. You have to multiply the umbrellas in the picture by 5 for the entire beach.



That night we had sushi. Everyone has had sushi or California rolls, but have you ever gone to a fish market and stared into the tanks full of fish and said, "I'll take this one, and this one. No not that one, the fin on that guy is messed up." A lady sweeps up the fish that you select and puts them in a bucket. See below for our tasty selection. Minutes ago these fish were swimming freely in their little tanks. I have never had raw fish before, and my first experience was seeing those fish gasp for oxygen when they were in that bucket. They did not die in vain though. Wow, sushi is awesome. Raw fish with a dash of soy sauce and wasabi is amazing. There is no seaweed, rice, or other fillers to dilute the freshest of fresh seafood. Raw fish that died literally seconds ago wrapped in lettuce is so good! We had fish head soup for an encore. I think I will draw a line with fish heads. A couple of nights out on the town, and more time on the beach made for a fabulous vacation.





I will post the two other pictures when I go to work on Monday. I deleted them somehow, sorry.


P.S. Go CHIEFS. First game of the year was a victory. I miss football so badly, and it was probably just a crummy ol' preseason game. I hope that Brodie turns into the real deal this year.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Glad you were smart enough to were sunscreen! Hope Meg didn't burn!

Mom said...

Oops! Make that "wear" not "were." Chris, I love your descriptions of the food. Maybe you'll become a food critic!

Unknown said...

No - I didn't burn. It was my idea to buy sunscreen. Of course everyone made fun of me for it, but in the end - Chris and I were the only ones who weren't miserable.

Mom said...

Meg, I just knew you were behind the sunscreen idea! Good for you! I didn't mean to sound in my post that you wouldn't have thought to use it. It sounds like you guys had a good time on the beach. I've been telling my friends about your Korean adventures and several of them have said, "Gosh, why didn't we do something like this when we had the chance??" Keep having fun!