Friday, August 22, 2008

The Games

The best teaching tactic I have been using to date is rewarding the children with a game for good behavior. At the end of a class, if the kids have participated, then we will play a game.


Nothing gets the energy level up in a room quite like a good game. The winner of the game usually receives a prize like no homework or reduced homework. I get my love of games from the All Time Gamer, Nanny. If our lesson is on numbers, then I will play this game called three, six, nine. It is a counting game where you count upwards. Every time a three, six, or nine is mentioned the student must clap their hands instead of saying the number. So 33 will get two claps and 34 would get one. 44 would be said, 44. Get it?



The younger kids love it, but the older ones, well, they're a bit too cool. If it is on food, I'll play "Going to the Grocery store I'll get apples, bacon, carrots, doughnuts..." One student names a food item starting with A, the next student has to say the first student's item plus a food item starting with the letter B. These simple games allow the students to open up.


Like everything, it is a double edge sword. Students now expect a game. They pack up their belongings with like 5 minutes left in class. That is my new pet peeve by the way.* I tell them they have to earn the Game, it is a Reward for good behavior. The reply I get is, "Hangman. Hangman." Give them an inch and they take a mile. I am sure that teaching over here will help me become a better parent, because I'm already learning the psychology of kids.




*We are videotaped. All day every day. In my office, there are three video cameras. 1/2 of my waking hours are spent on camera. (I am beginning to think I might be the Truman Show. Taking the time to write these blogs is a big joke to you, because you're watching me live!) I have heard of teachers writing Air Conditioner on the whiteboard. Seconds later the AC in their rooms will click on. Office assistants will swoop in and confiscate cell phones from students who have been secretly using them. This is all heresy though, I've yet to witness any of this. Parents do often watch their children in the classroom, and for that reason I hate when students assume class is over. It sends a horrible message to the parents. Parents are the clients, and our boss does everything to appease them. This is a business after all, and the only way to get on the bosses bad side is if you receive parent complaints.




We are supposed to give detentions out to students who don't do their homework. I usually do, barring some extreme circumstances. (For example, a dog eating your homework does not count, but taking a test to get into high school does.) Whenever a student does not do their homework, I give them the opportunity to make it up in class. They usually have to answer three to five questions in a row, correctly. The students who are on what I have dubbed "The Hot Seat" really pay attention, because an hour detention is on the line. The rest of the class is paying attention as well because they want to see if their buddy has detention or not, and they may try to help their friends. It is a much better learning atmosphere, if you can believe it. I've had screams of joy and frustration from this game.



Now I've added a "Shot Clock" so the students only have ten seconds to find the answer and tell me. I don't even have to countdown, the other students take care of that for me. I tried to hum the Jeopardy theme, but no one seemed to get it. Go figure, right. This method is in between torturous/cruel and very practical. It makes students think fast under pressure, and I have also seen the amount of homework assignments incomplete drop drastically. You don't get many second chances in life, but in my classes you do.


I have now been reviewed twice by my company stooges, once by a foreigner peer, and by every one of my students. I'll get back to you with the results when I receive them. I might need to find some new tactics!

If anyone remembers good childhood games feel free to comment on them, but they must be somewhat educational. Heads up 7 up does not count.

1 comment:

Terry Sulsen said...

....oh, what I would give to see those videos of you. as for childhood educational games, I can't really remember any off the top of my head. I think most of those childhood memories are covered in resin. I'll try to come up with one though. And I have another suggestion for this blog. Since I haven't heard much out of meghan, I'd like to see an interview format of you asking her a list of random questions about her experience so far. Sounds fun, A? no? ...fine then.