Saturday, December 27, 2008

My First Second Job

I got my first second job. Does that make sense? I now teach separate classes every Sunday from 1:30 to 3:50 for a side job. My school set this up for me and here's the best part: I get paid about 50 dollars per hour! Holy Shnikes! People all around the world are reeling right now, and somehow I'm getting paid 50 dollars an hour to teach kids English asking myself, "What global economic slowdown?" Meg got the gig as well. This is her 4th job.



It's even more interesting considering the following: I don't have an English or teaching degree, in fact, and I hate to say this because of my current job, but English is and has always been one of my worst subjects. I am sure that anyone who has read over two blog posts can attest to my poor grammar skills. Indeed, I just learned that there is a difference between your and you're a year ago! I have been corrected so many times in my life, but the corrections go in one ear and out the other. I'm a baboo. (that's Korean for idiot)



I was adding up the costs of activities and thought I would post them here:



Big Mac Meal- $3.5

Movie ticket - $5.4

Korean Bar B Que meal*- $3-6.50

Pint of the Korean liqueur Soju- 97 cents

Meal for 1 at Outback Steakhouse- 25 dollars

Glazed Doughnut at Dunkin Donuts*- 70 cents

Clothes are much cheaper but it varies so much; I'm going to just avoid that can of worms

1 liter bottle of Orange Juice- $2.70



Okay and here is the best deal in Korea to date: $11.55 for all you can eat sushi rolls and other buffet items. These are real sushi rolls, with fancy sauces, crab, and did I say crab!!!! What are you going to chase your awesome crab almond roll down with, how about all you can drink wine, which is included in the original sticker price! For those of you keeping score, 11.50 for a buffet and all you can drink wine. Now, granted the wine isn't top shelf, but in this case quantity over quality right?


I remember reading an article somewhere, (yes I do read...once in a while) and it listed Seoul as the the 5th most expensive city in the world. The won was a much stronger currency at that point, to give the article some credit, but looking at the prices that I posted above, I just don't see it. I know real estate is very expensive here, but look at how much a Big Mac meal is! I mean, the 5th most expensive city in the world! Get out of here!

I can travel from one side of Seoul to the other for about 20 dollars. That would get you from one side of JFK to other in New York or maybe a couple of laps around ground zero. The cabbies have got a 10 percent increase coming to them sometime in 2009, which is really going to hurt my wallet. It might take 22 dollars to get to the other side of Seoul! It's laughable how cheap public transportation is here. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION! It is one of the few advantages of living in such a population dense city.

I got to go teach the young ones. Really, this is just a long winded update post, which can be boiled down to: I am feeling better, and I got a side job.

No comments: