Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Greenback


As an expate, with future aspirations of coming back to America, a lot of my salary is tied to currencies. The South Korean Won is at a four year low compared to the dollar. The dollar has been rallying like Pete Sampras in his prime on a whole bunch of countries lately. When I was coming over here, the dollar was in an awful way, and now it seems to be strengthening.
The dollar has been a thorn in my side throughout my world travels. In Dublin, a pint of Guinness averages about 4.50 euros, so it cost me damn near seven dollars. That will curb your desire for a tasty beverage real fast! Ireland cost me so much money because the dollar was so weak compared to the Euro. I am not even going to talk about how much money our weak currency cost me in England. I will say this, "just Double it" came up often in speech, every price in England has to be doubled for the dollar to equal the pound.
Now when I am making wons, I don't need to see the dollar coming on strong. Money I send home will vary based on the currencies strength. A weak dollar is good for me. A strong won is good, and the combination of the two would be ideal. That forecast shows (I doubt it's very accurate, by the way) a rise in the dollar, which will cut into my pocketbook. I am happy for all you back home.
To the Dollar, my nemesis!

No comments: